Tuesday, July 15, 2008

New Stuff

Hi there. It's been a while, but I do have a couple of new reviews up on Audiophile Audition. You can read the David Grier (Bluegrass guitarist) review here and the Blue Cranes (Indie Jazz) review here. Both are very fine CDs, though they will appeal to quite different listeners.

Also, I wrote a profile for the latest issue of Mandolin Magazine about the Vancouver luthier Chris Standridge. He's making some of the best sounding mandolins around.

As far as movies go this summer, I'm afraid I have rather different opinions than most of the reviewers out there. Speed Racer, Wanted, and Hancock have all suffered from hostile, negative, or lukewarm reviews, but I rather liked them. Speed Racer is particularly underrated. It's a great little kid's movie, which is not what you'd expect from the Wachowski Brothers, I suppose. Iron Man is probably my favorite blockbuster so far, with Hellboy II: the Golden Army a reasonable second. If you have the opportunity, see Son of Rambow. That's my favorite overall movie so far.

Well, stay cool and take care.

Hermon

No comments: